Having kids at home all summer long could get very exhausting, and VERY expensive. If you’re trying to entertain them, travel with them, and create amazing memories, you could end up forking over tons of money. BUT – it doesn’t have to be that way! I’ve made a list of some great ideas that will be tons of fun without hurting your wallet. Here are our top 10 ideas for Frugal Summer Fun:
- Consider Themed Days
- Water Wednesday – Go to the pool, have water balloon fights, water gun fights, sprinkler jump contests…all things water!
- Super Hero Mondays – Life is more fun in a cape.
- Picnic Thursdays – get creative!
- If you’re into alliteration, here is a great chart for you!:) (Be sure to check out this post to use on Thoughtful Thursday).
- Go to the library!
- Most libraries have lots of fun and FREE summer programs. It’s a nice way to get out and about without spending money. They will have fun and be learning at the same time. Winning!
- Host a Lemonade Stand!
- if your kids are a bit older, they can spend lots of time on this…making signs, making lemonade, counting change. It will be fun!
- Park Movie Night
- Check your community news, whether that’s on facebook, in a local magazine, or in the newspaper. Many subdivisions even offer a park movie night, or food truck Friday. Take advantage of free community events!
- Summer Photo Album
- Let the kiddos help you pick a cheap little photo album from Walmart or Hobby Lobby. (Or order one of these from Amazon Prime, if you hate Walmart like I do.) Take selfies together all summer, and at the end of each week, print them out or order them from Shutterfly and start filling up your album. It will be a fun project for them, and you’ll have a great memory.
- Go Bowling!
- Most bowling alleys have a discount day. Find out when yours is and hit it up! I usually bring along snacks and juice boxes, because our bowling alley is expensive on the food items.
- Have a S’mores Night!
- Make s’mores in your back yard over the fire pit! You can spend all day getting the ingredients, setting up, and assembling the ingredients. The kids LOVE this one, and it’s cheap!
- Wash the Cars!
- This could even happen on Water Wednesday! Even though they won’t do a perfect job, let the kids put on their swimsuits and go to town on washing your car. Also, it kills two birds with one stone, you entertain them, and your car gets (semi) clean!
- Cook a Meal Together
- Spend all day gathering ingredients, letting them help wash, peel, stir, whatever is safe. Make it a full meal with dessert included. They will be so proud of themselves, and it will keep them buys for quite a while!
- Rainy Day PJs
- On rainy days (we have a lot of rainy summer days in Houston), let everyone stay in their pajamas all day. Play games, watch movies, treat it like a slumber party!
I hope this gave you some fresh ideas for fun & Frugal summer activities. Do you have any to add to the list? I’d LOVE your suggestions!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.